Thursday, 11 April 2013

Kind of Cool

April 11, 2013 (6:47 P.M.)

When I was applying for the University of Florida, I was a little bit over my head. I knew I wanted to leave Florida Atlantic University, but I didn't really know my next step. I sent in my application and waited patiently for the answer. Surprisingly, I felt pretty confident, considering I had done extremely well for my first two years, but I was still nervous. I didn't want to stay at FAU, and if I didn't get into Florida,  I might have been coming home.

When the response finally came, I was too excited for words. Up until this point I had checked the online status of my application at least ten times a day and was always met with the same crushing response of "Pending." This time however, when I opened up the page, I was met with a different answer, "*Accepted". I was ecstatic. I had gotten into the University of Florida. I was going to become a Florida Gator. No more owls! I didn't even notice the asterisk until I had made all my calls.

When I finally calmed down and looked over the acceptance properly, my excitement was quickly turned into dismay. I was accepted into the University of Florida pending the completion of my fourth semester and the completion of all the necessary classes mentioned in the list. I had to send letters off to teachers for recommendations and fulfill all the necessary requirements before being accepted. I had to do all this in the last few weeks of my second year of college in addition to all my normal responsibilities with classes.

That's when Karen Cody came into the picture. Karen worked in the Undergraduate Affairs Office for the Department of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida. Karen was my savior.

Overwhelmed I emailed her, explaining my situation. Not only did she respond, but she responded as if I had personally tapped her on the shoulder from two feet away. I don't even think the email had been fully sent before her response was on its way back. She explained what I needed to do and how I needed to do it and told me to call her if I had any questions. Rookie mistake Karen.

I called immediately.

We went over classes schedules and she recommended courses. I told her about my situation and she found schools near my home in NJ that offered the classes. I had questions and she solved problems. Karen was amazing. Needless to say, I signed up for my summer courses, contacted my teachers, and finished everything in record time. Come Fall, I would be going to the University of Florida. I would be graduating a Gator.

When I walked into UF, she was the first person I wanted to meet and when I saw her for the first time, the first thing I did was give her a hug.

From then on, Karen and I were friends. Even after graduating, we still occasionally stay in contact via email. 

She recently asked me what I was up to and I explained how I was now working in Africa for a company called Africa Media. After a few more conversations, she asked if I would be willing to make a video explaining what I did in college and how I got to the point I am at.

Of course I accepted. Anything Karen needs, Karen gets.

Come Fall, I will be one of the featured students for UF's orientation promoting the Journalism program. I thought that was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment