February 5, 2013
It was my first day on the boat
searching for great white sharks. I assumed we would go to a spot known to see
many sharks, but for our first day we went to a location that previous interns
referred to as a hit or miss. Today, we missed. We went out from 1-5 p.m. but
unfortunately were unable to attract anything. We were familiarized with the
boat, equipment and what our tasks on the boat will be, but didn’t get the
chance to utilize our newly learned skills. I chummed for a couple hours, did
some environment records and played the role of shark spotter for a little. It’s
a little rough up there in the crow’s nest but I did just fine as far as not
getting seasick.
Actually, I didn’t get seasick the
whole time. In fact, while I was chumming, there was hundreds of fish swimming
around the boat. I managed to catch four of them with just a bucket (one on the
first try and three on the next). We passed by seal island, which is a lot
closer to shore than one might expect. The location we went to was called
Railway and today it did not produce a single great white. We saw plenty of fish
and one smaller local shark, but nothing substantial. I have still yet to see
my great whites. Hope it happens soon.
I went to another dolphin
location this morning and got to learn how to use a theodolite for tracking marine
life. It was super sensitive to movement and quite annoying when trying to
align it just right, but the other interns and I were eventually able to get
the hang of it. We were also given a presentation on how to identify the various
species we might come across. I’m excited for my first viewing. I’ve heard
nothing but amazing things.
I’m extremely sun burnt today
even though I put sunscreen on in the morning. Apparently you have to put in on
multiple times a day in Africa. Live and learn I guess. I work in the aquarium
tomorrow studying the movement of sharks with an impending storm on the way. I’m
excited for that. Also, Luke Shoemaker emailed me his Skype name so I can
officially start making a presentation for him and his class. I hope he likes
it, I told him to wait a couple of weeks before we can do it to allow me to
gather as much material as possible. I tested the underwater camera Shannon
gave it and it worked like a charm. Hope I can just keep my hands steady when a
great white is swimming toward me.
No comments:
Post a Comment