January 30, 2013 (4:35 P.M.)
So I finally arrived in
Johannesburg, Africa. After rushing to catch my connecting flight in Atlanta –
which I’m assuming is the largest airport on the planet – I jumped on my next
flight. I’m normally an excellent sleeper as far as planes are concerned but I
did not realize it was because I normally had nothing else to do. I’m used to
Spirit Airlines and for anyone who flies Spirit, the words uncomfortable,
unpleasant and unbearable become normal your normal adjectives. For my
international flight I chose Delta and I have to say the whole trip was just
lovely. The only problem was I didn’t sleep at all. It wasn’t because of an
annoying neighbor, lack of leg room or horrendous food, but rather the
unlimited entertainment provided on the screen directly in front of you.
If you’re like most people,
there are always a couple of movies on “your list” meaning you won’t
necessarily go out of your way to watch them, but always planned on one day
seeing them if they’re conveniently placed in front of your face. What I didn’t
realize was Delta would be providing hundreds of movies on “my list” a mere six
inches in front of me. After the first one I figured I would watch another.
After the second, I ate some food, went to the bathroom and returned to watch
the third. The fourth one became blurry as far as my attention was concerned
and I completely blacked out for the fifth movie. The 15 hours of flight time
flew by, but by the time I arrived in Johannesburg, I realized I hadn’t slept
all night and would be forced to stay within the confines of the airport for
another dozen hours or so.
There was a gentleman who
entertained me for a little bit during the flight. He was a little hard of
hearing and I ended up having to repeat everything I said multiple times before
he understood what I said. Our conversation went a little like this...
(For the
purpose of this conversation, I’m going to refer to the old man as Red because
he reminded me of Morgan Freeman’s character in the Shawshank Redemption)
Red: So what
brings you to Africa?
Me: I got an
internship researching Great White Sharks.
Red: Huh?
Me: I got an
internship researching Great White Sharks.
Red:
Interesting.
Me: Thanks.
I’m excited.
Red: So what
got you into cars?
Me: Cars?
Red: Well,
trucks more specifically. And does the color matter?
Me: I’m a
little confused sir. I’m sorry.
Red: Well do
all the trucks have to be white? Does that make a difference or do you only
like white ones? And what’s so great about white trucks that you need to go all
the way to Africa to research them?
Me: Sir do
you think I said Great White trucks?
Red: I had a
red truck in my forties.
Me: ...
Eventually we were able to
settle the confusion. Don’t worry.
No comments:
Post a Comment