January 31st
2013 (10:49 A.M.)
I’m
here! It exists. There was a person waiting for me to arrive with a polo
t-shirt and everything. It’s embarrassing how easily I’m impressed. The country
is amazing. I saw Mossel Bay for the first time and cannot wait to get out
there. When I arrived, I realized I was the first one of my group to get there.
The rest of the interns would not be arriving until tomorrow.
I am
awkwardly arriving as the last group is leaving. They all came for one month
and will be leaving tomorrow. As a group they said four weeks was not enough to
do everything they came for. Apparently I chose correctly in staying for two
months (by saying I chose two months, what I really mean is afford two months).
They’re all going out for their last night in Mossel Bay and want to “show me
the ropes,” but the only thing I want is a shower and a nap. Can’t believe I
just said the phrase “show me the ropes;” I guess I’m 60 years old now. Of
course I need internet though. I haven’t talked to anyone in a while and I want
to let them know I arrived safely.
The
place is gorgeous. There’s a huge in-ground swimming pool, nice rooms and
plenty of space. I talked to the other interns and they said the internet is spotty
at best, so I will have to do with what I get. As long as I can Skype with
them, I will be satisfied.
Tomorrow
I start my first assignment at dawn. Ok I really start at eight in the morning,
but that’s kind of early. I personally voted for a start at noon, but I don’t
think it’s going to work. During the week, there is a strict 10:30 p.m. curfew
because most of the assignments begin early, so I’m not sure what to do. All
the interns want me to go out to the bars with them, but I don’t think it would
be a good idea to break curfew my first night and be hung over for my first
assignment. Maybe I can go and just leave early? If you break curfew, you are
forced to miss the next great white trip. I’m not playing that game.
No comments:
Post a Comment