January 29th
2013 (1:06 P.M.)
It’s
finally happening. No longer is this trip something I was forced to look
forward to. No longer would I have to tell someone what I’m going to do next
month, next week or tomorrow. I’m doing it right now. The end of the month has
finally arrived, meaning I am one step closer to achieving my goal. I am
sitting here at the airport; at the terminal with my lap top plugged into the
nearest outlet. Apparently I picked the worst possible choice for my
electricity options because for the past half hour I have had to consistently
plug and unplug my power chord from the wall to allow the Delta employees to
remove wheelchairs from their storage location. What’s more important: my
laptop receiving power for a flight in which there’s a 90% chance I fall asleep
within minutes or a handicap person being able to safely board an aircraft?
Yeah, it’s pretty obvious; stop unplugging my laptop chord.
As I
wait for this flight, I am starting to realize what I’m about to endure. This
flight will unfortunately be one of three flights to come in a 35-hour trip. I
am flying from Philadelphia International Airport to Atlanta International
Airport. From there, I will enjoy a quick 15-hour flight to Johannesburg,
Africa and then finally a little fly over to George, South Africa. Not bad I
guess. Oh, did I mention the 15 hour layover in Johannesburg? No reason for me
to stress about it though. The only way for me to get there is to start the
process and the only way to start the process is to jump on the first flight.
While
I’m waiting here, I’m not sure if the whole process has even hit me yet. Even
driving to the airport with my lovely girlfriend Shannon this afternoon was
nothing special. It felt like every other drive together; except it wasn’t.
This one was different. Two people would be arriving at the airport but only
one would be leaving it; the other wouldn’t be back for two months. The other
person – me – was excited, nervous, sad, apprehensive, happy, and petrified
simultaneously. Even though a wave of feelings and emotions were starting to
affect me, I kind of enjoyed it. It’s an exhilarating sensation to step out of
one’s “box” and do something spontaneous and unexpected. What I was heading
toward at the moment definitely satisfied both of those categories and I was ready.
Even with the trip-of-a-lifetime arriving in
the near future, leaving her and stepping out of the car was a lot tougher than
I anticipated. I expected her to be upset but I didn’t expect myself to be
affected as well. Obviously as a member of the male species, I hid my emotions
the way we’re programmed to at birth, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t crushed to
walk toward the terminal and see the license plate reading “SHANIMAL” slowly
drive away. Two months wasn’t that long of a time. I can only hope everything
works out in the end. She was really cute about the whole thing. Since I won’t
be returning to home for 61 days, she counted out 61 Skittles (S is for
Shannon) and told me to eat one every day until I come back to her. That way
she said I’ll know exactly how long it is until I get to see her again. She’s
sweet.
I made my way toward my first check-in, but
the big picture still hadn’t hit me. Here I was making the first step toward a
life dream and I’m still treating this trip as though it’s another meaningless
flight back to Florida. Usually that’s where I would be heading if I was in an
airport. The constant traveling I did during my four years of college in
Florida conditioned me to associate flying with the sauna that is Florida. I’m
sure this feeling will start to change soon though. This time I’m not going to
Florida. This is an entirely different experience. Maybe the whole idea will
hit me after this flight. Maybe it will hit me once I land in Africa. Maybe it
won’t hit me until I get on the boat for the first time. One thing’s for sure
though, it’s going to hit me. I’m heading toward something I’ve always wanted
to see and may never have an opportunity to see again. I’m not even sure how I
will react when I see it swim by the boat for the first time. I’ve read too
many books, seen too many television shows and watched the movie Jaws one too
many times to not have a reaction when I see my first Great White shark
approach the vessel.
Time
for my first flight.
Glad you started the blog. We will read them to the kids as they love sharks. Stay safe and have a lot of fun. Keep the pics coming.
ReplyDeleteBrian DeRoss